Thanks to firstname.lastname@example.org for pointing me at this IBM tech support article:
To automate an install, you create an install response file that includes all the options you want users to have. ˙After you create the response file, you package it with the install files and copy the files to a network for users to download.
These steps describe how to set up a workstation installation so that users only need to click a shortcut to launch SETUP.EXE, with defined parameters in the command line, to install Notes with all the customizations you choose.
1. From the Install directory, type SETUP -R. ˙This action creates the response file, SETUP.ISS, which is stored in your system directory. ˙(Depending on the operating system, this file will be placed in the˙WINDOWS or WINNT directory.)
2. Go through the user setup dialogs, actually completing a normal˙installation. ˙The response file records all the settings you specify.
3. Copy the entire Install directory to a network drive.
4. Copy the response file (SETUP.ISS) into the Install directory on the˙network. ˙The SETUP.ISS file must be in the same directory as the rest˙of the installation files.
5. Right-click the SETUP.EXE file in the installation directory, and˙from the pop-up menu, select Create Shortcut. ˙This will create a shortcut˙to SETUP.EXE in the installation directory.
6. Right-click the new shortcut, and from the pop-up menu, select˙Properties. ˙In the Target field, enter the following at the end of the˙path and file name, making sure to place a space between the SETUP.EXE˙at the end of the path before the below text is added:
-s -f1 <location of SETUP.ISS file>
Alternately, the full command can be entered into the Windows Start -->Run command window as follows:
<Path>\SETUP.EXE -s f1 <Path>\SETUP.ISS
Please note that the syntax is very important. ˙Extraneous spaces and˙characters will either cause the switch to not work or to be˙misinterpreted. ˙One customer reported that spaces between the switch˙"-f1" and the start of the path caused the switch to not work˙properly.
Example of Correct Syntax: ˙ setup.exe -s -f1c:\myresponse.iss˙-f2c:\logdir\mylog.log
When the Notes Installation is run silently using the steps detailed in this document, you will see no indication that the install is running. ˙No program windows are opened, and no dialog boxes or progress bars are displayed. ˙When the installation is completed, the Lotus Product Registration windows will appear on the screen, to be filled out or closed by the user.
Note: ˙For an in-depth look at the methods and options of the˙InstallShield Silent Install, refer to the following URL, at the InstallShield (http://www.installshield.com) web site: