1) Add the transparent GIF file to your database as described in the FAQ so it can referenced by the web browser.
2) Paste the same GIF into the Notes navigator.
3) Place the navigator in your web document as you normally would.
4) Use the web browser to look at the HTML source that Domino generated. Copy this HTML code and use in-line HTML to place this code into your document where you referenced the Notes navigator.
5) Replace the IMG SRC statement in the HTML with a reference to the transparent GIF.
If you use a computed field to generate the HTML code, you can make the HTML code independent of the database name by using a technique described in the FAQ.